Friday, April 29, 2011

National Infertility Week

This week is national infertility week. I have been thinking about what I needed to write about it. We have been dealing with infertility for almost 4 years. It has been a long road filled with heart breaks, devastation, long conversations, tears, etc. However, it has made our relationship so much stronger. We have had really special experiences in the midst of the hard times. Russ means the world to me and he has been such a huge support and strength to me, as well as trying his best to understand all the emotional side of infertility (especially for a woman).

Other than our relationship getting stronger and us growing closer together, the greatest blessing of our infertility is that it has led us to another amazing world - adoption! We really are so happy to be able to adopt and to swap prayers with birth parents. I recently read this blog post about a birth mom and her thoughts about adoption. I was so touched by her tender feelings about placement and about their open relationship. We LOVE open adoption and are excited for the way that it will help all those involved with the adoption: the birth parents, the child and the adoptive couple (us). I LOVE the song "Everything to Me" by Mark Schultz and it brings me to tears almost every time I watch it. I am amazed at the love and selflessness that birth parents have!

Although we are infertile, we are beyond excited for this next phase of growing our family!

Here is a great post on what to say (and what not to say) to someone that is infertile: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-my-turn-infertility-20110425,0,470341.story
We have heard our fair share of what not to say, but we are so grateful for amazing friends and family that are there to listen and just say "I'm sorry". They have helped so much!

Here's more info on National Infertility Week: http://www.resolve.org/national-infertility-awareness-week/home-page.html

No comments:

Post a Comment