Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pioneer Trek

We had the great privilege of going with the youth (ages 12-18) of our church to Wyoming to reenact a pioneer trek. We were able to research the life of a pioneer that we would walk for. I walked for one of my great-great-great-great grandmas that walked across the plains in a handcart company when she was 71. Her story took on much more personal meaning when I heard how a few of her children had passed away. I cried when I read that, because I have had many miscarriages and we have felt the pain of losing a child. It was a joy to learn about this remarkable woman, especially because I was able to spend time with my grandma that I love. She truly is an incredible example to me and I strive to be like her.
We were asked to be the "Ma" and "Pa" of a "family" of 10 teenage kids that were assigned to us. It was such a great joy to get to know each of them and to see their talents, strengths, etc. They are each so incredible and special. We had some really spiritual times with them on the trek, but we also had some really fun times with them as well. We will never forget them or the experiences we shared with them. We will especially never forget the spirit we felt as we walked across the plains, crossed the rivers and pulled our handcarts in the same places as those pioneers that went before us.

Here is our traditional family picture.
Here is our fun family picture! Russ and I got to play traditional pioneer games, like tug-a-war and stick pull. Russ flipped me in a matter of seconds, but it was still fun!Caden stayed with Russ' parents for the four days that we were gone. He was so excited about staying with them that he kept asking us often when we were going to leave for the trek (so that he could stay with them). They spoiled him rotten by taking him to the pool, the play ground, the store, etc. They also bought him new clothes, new toys, and new coloring books. They also did us a HUGE service and cleaned our house for us while we were gone. We were very humbled and grateful for their help, love and thoughtfulness. It is such a blessing to have such wonderful extended family!

No comments:

Post a Comment