Tuesday, June 28, 2011

ESL Testing

When I registered Caden for kindergarten, I had to fill out what languages Caden speaks, what languages we speak in the home, etc. Since he is bilingual, I wrote down English and Spanish. As a result, he had to get tested to see if he qualified for ESL assistance. I laughed so hard when I got the email! I told Caden that since he knew both languages, he got to have a special meeting.

A few weeks ago, I took him to get tested. I was hoping that I could see the test, but he took him to a different room. After wards, he came and talked to me about how Caden did. He said "it looks like he is at least familiar with the capital letters and he could write his name well...". I wanted to laugh and tell him that Caden is reading full books, but decided to just listen. He told me that Caden did great in all areas, but he missed a few questions in the "listening" portion. As a result, he told me that he did qualify for ESL assistance. I almost started laughing! He explained that Caden would have to go to another school, that they could work with him for 45 minutes a week, etc. He said I could decide to do it, decide to sign a waiver, or think about it for awhile. I immediately signed the waiver. However, he told me that since he qualified for the program, he has to be tested every year until he passes "proficient".

It was a very interesting experience. Russ and I just kept laughing about it. I don't think school systems can handle a child that is literally fluent in two languages. We are proud that our sweet son can talk in both English and Spanish, and is excelling at the things he does! Now I just need to get myself ready for him to start kindergarten....what am I going to do without my sweet sidekick by me all day!? He is SO excited, though so that makes it easier.

1 comment:

  1. What a smart boy. My baby is going to kindergarten too, but only speaks English. I am so impressed you have raised him bilingual. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete